SDX Energy Inc. anticipates spudding the Ibn Yunus-1X exploration well at South Disouq, Egypt, in mid-March. The operator signed a contract with Sino-Tharwa Drilling Co. for the ST-6 rig, which includes agreement for four additional firm wells. The rig is on location in Egypt’s Western Desert completing drilling for a separate operator and is expected to be released this month.
SDX expects a 30-40 day drilling window targeting the Abu Madi conventional gas interval discovered in April 2017 in the SD-1X well, which tested 25.8 MMcfd and 43 b/d of condensate on a 48/64-in. choke. The Abu Maadi formation is at 7,100 ft. Once drilling is completed at Ibn Yunus-1X, the rig will move to the SD-1X discovery to drill two appraisal wells and then on to drill SDX’s Kelvin-1X exploration prospect.
The Ibn Yunus-1X and Kelvin-1X wells are targeting up to 150 bcf of gas and, if successful, SDX plans to tie back to the SD-1X processing facility.
The South Disouq concession covers 1,275 sq km in the Nile Delta and is estimated to contain 1.3 tcf of P10 resources. Located within the Abu Madi-Baltim trend, the area consists of 10 discoveries totaling 6.3 tcf of gas and 100 million bbl of liquids.
SDX has an operated 55% equity position after it completed a farm-out of the acreage to IPR in February 2015 for the remaining 45%.
The operator has also spudded the Rabul 5 development well in Egypt’s West Gharib concession. The first of two development wells planned for the field this year, SDX is targeting oil bearing intervals in both the Bakr and Yusr formations. These intervals were previously discovered in the company’s Rabul 1 and 2 wells. Operations for Rabul 5 are expected to take about 30 days.